prAna Lyra Jacket: Gripping Gear Review
The prAna Lyra Jacket is a nice, packable, lightweight jacket that has water resistant down with 700 power fill to keep you warm in the cold temperatures of winter. The Lyra stuffs into an internal mesh pocket with a zip to make it easy to pack for traveling or stuffing in your backpack while in the great outdoors.
The Lyra has a nylon shell with a DWR treatment. The 700 power fill locks in the warmth for the wearer, and the style is quite fashionable. There are side and deep interior pockets, one being a zippered mesh pocket. There’s a bottom cinch on the jacket, a contrast pop color zip, pocket and cuff trim as well as internal seams bound with contrast pop color.
- Incredible warmth with the 700 fill down
- Packs into its own internal mesh pocket with zip
- Lightweight – won’t take up much space or add weight if you pack in a suitcase or backpack
- Water resistant – while it’s not waterproof, the coat does stay quite dry in light rain conditions
- Deep internal pockets for carrying personal items
- Bottom cinch to tighten and keep warmth inside
- Great to use for a mid-layer in colder conditions
- External side pockets are roomy, but things can fall out easily if you’re not careful as there are no zippers on the pockets
- Hooded version would be a nice option
- The shoulder area was slightly tight, so if you have broad shoulders, consider a bigger size
Bottom Line: The prAna Lyra Jacket has quite a few great features to it and definitely keeps you warm in fall and winter conditions. While it is ideal to wear by itself in casual situations and on warmer snow days while out skiing or snowboarding, the Lyra is also a fantastic mid-layer in alpine conditions. It’s a fashionable yet functional piece, and the fact that it zips up in its own internal mesh pocket and only weighs 0.6 pounds makes it an ideal go-to piece for traveling excursions or outdoor adventures. Retails at $159.00 and is on sale for $79.50.